Testosterone is the main sex hormone in men. It plays an important role in muscle development and bone strength, as well as in the production of red blood cells or arousing of sex drive. Women produce testosterone too, but just in a smaller amount. Testosterone boosters help increase the production of this hormone in the body, and decrease the levels of estrogen. But is it safe to take testosterone boosters? Do they have negative effects on your health?
Are Testosterone Boosters Safe?
In general, testosterone boosters are safe. However, many of the testosterone supplements have not undergone testing among human. So make sure to buy them from a reputable firm. Also, watch for the following possible side effects after consumption of testosterone boosters.
Physical Side Effects
- Difficulties sleeping
- Sleep apnea
- Kidney damage if testosterone boosters are used for a long period of time
- Skin reactions and oily acne skin, especially on the back
- Rapid muscle gain, but no growth in tendons and ligaments
- Infrequent urination
- Thinner urination streams
- Aggressive behavior
- Heart diseases due to elevated levels of red blood cells if testosterone boosters are used for a long period of time
- Elevated levels of PSA, which indicates an inflamed or enlarged prostate, as well as prostate cancer
- Mild headaches occasionally
- Iron deficiency or anemia, which can lead to a decrease of the immune system
Psychological Side Effects
- Mood swings, etc.
It might seem odd, as normally testosterone improves the mood. Uncharacteristic mood swings accompanied by depression and aggressive behavior while taking testosterone boosters are signs to stop taking them.
Precautions for Taking Testosterone Boosters
Are testosterone boosters safe? Even though testosterone boosters are generally safe, they should always be taken with great caution due to a variety of the side effects they can cause.
- If you decide to take testosterone boosters, you will need to check the levels of your hormones first. Your doctor is the one who will tell you for sure if testosterone boosters are right for you.
- When choosing testosterone boosters, you should consider your health, age as well as your goals.
- If you have problems with your prostate, you should talk to your doctor first before taking testosterone boosters. Testosterone stimulation has a great impact on the entire hormonal environment, also increasing the levels of dihydrotestosterone.
- Take testosterone boosters just as the instruction says; never take more than the recommended dosage from the manufacturer.
- If you have any pre-existing medical condition, consult your doctor if testosterone boosters are safe to be taken right now.
- If you start to notice any side effects, stop taking the supplement immediately. Consult your doctor as well.
- Choose testosterone boosters that have been tested and researched in human trials.
- Choose testosterone boosters from well-known manufacturers. Don’t choose boosters that don’t have all the ingredients listed on the bottle.
- Are testosterone boosters safe? Normally, yes. But try to buy the testosterone boosters directly from the manufacturers if possible, for example, buying them online on the official websites. This way, you will avoid buying fake supplements, which can be very dangerous and harm your health.
- Start taking testosterone boosters gradually, just like any other supplements.
- Take regular brakes from using testosterone boosters. It is recommended to take a break after every 8 weeks of continuous use. This will help your body cleanse itself and relax.
How to Boost Your Testosterone Level Naturally
If you are concerned with the possible side effects of testosterone boosters, try the following natural methods to improve your testosterone level.
1. Sleep Well
A good night sleep is essential when trying to boost your testosterone level. A lack of sleep will have a great impact on many hormones and chemicals in the body, including testosterone. Try to sleep about 7 to 8 hours every night. Change your lifestyle and go to bed on time, even if that means dropping on some habits like watching TV, going out, or even reading. If you are having problems sleeping, talk to your doctor.
2. Maintain a Healthy Weight
Being overweight or obese will have an impact on your testosterone too. Losing those extra pounds will help you boost your testosterone level naturally. For those men who are underweight, gaining some weight can help boost the testosterone levels too.
3. Exercise Regularly
Are testosterone boosters safe? Stop asking this question, and start exercising. If you are physically active, your brain sends out signals which will increase the production of testosterone. On the other hand, if you spend most of your time on a couch in front of a TV, your brain will receive messages meaning that you don’t need testosterone.
If you are not used to exercising in the past, start by walking and gradually increase the intensity. However, extreme physical activity, on the other hand, can lower the levels of testosterone too.
4. Relieve Stress
Under constant stress, your body will produce more stress hormones like cortisol, but less testosterone. Maintaining your stress under control is very important if you want to have normal levels of testosterone.
Don’t work long hours or at weekends. Try to work less than 10 hours a day. Spend time doing things that will relax and please you, such as walking, swimming, listening to music, reading or whatever working for you.
5. Review Your Medications
Certain types of medications will lower your levels of testosterone. Review your medications and check with your doctor if you really need to take them. There are substitutes too that might work better for you. Adjust the dosage if you have to take them. Some of these medications that will have an impact on your testosterone levels include glucocorticoids, anabolic steroids or opioids.