Most spots located in the face, excluding those we were born with, are due to an excess of sun exposure without any kind of protection. Other common causes include diseases, certain medications or skin products, pregnancy and stress. If you feel uncomfortable with having them, there are many natural remedies you can try. However, if nothing works, then you need to go see a dermatologist.
Natural Ways to Remove Spots from Face
1. Lemon Juice
How to remove spots from face? Try lemon juice. Lemon juice is known to have a great amount of vitamin C which makes it a good natural choice to lighten up and even remove dark spots from your face.
- Just grab a lemon, squeeze it and pour some of the juice on a cotton ball.
- Then apply it directly on the affected area of your face until it dries by itself, and wash it off with plain water.
Keep in mind that lemon can produce irritation in sensitive skins. It is imperative that you do not expose the skin to the sun when you are applying lemon juice, as this can make the dark spots worse.
There are certain bleaching substances that can be found in potatoes, which makes them a good option to remove black spots from the face. You can use potatoes in many ways, and some of them are:
- Cut the potato in slices and put the some pieces directly on your face to cover all the dark spots. Leave the slices there for about 10 minutes and then wash your face with water.
- Use the juice that comes from cutting and squeezing a potato and mix it with some lemon juice and a little bit of turmeric powder. Apply this mixture on all the black spots of your face and let it dry. Then rinse it off with enough water.
- Grate a peeled small potato and then add one tablespoon of honey to it. Place the mixture on your face and let it rest for 20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
The lactic acid found in buttermilk has bleaching properties that can help you get rid of black spots.
Mix 2 tablespoons of buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of fresh tomato juice and apply it directly on the black spots on your face. Wait 20 minutes and rinse it off.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a plant widely known for its healing and moisturizing properties.
How to remove spots from face by using aloe vera? You will need to cut one leaf in half and then scoop out the gooey substance found in it. If this seems like too much job, then you can just buy the aloe vera gel from any store. Grab the gel and apply it like a face mask, massage gently with your fingers and leave it there for 15 minutes. Then thoroughly rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric is an underappreciated product with the capacity of reducing dark spots on the skin.
- For its use, you need to make a thick cream by mixing 1 tablespoon of turmeric with just enough milk and lemon juice in equal quantities to make a manageable paste which is not too liquid and not too solid.
- Apply this mixture on your face where the dark spots are and leave it there for 10 minutes and rinse off.
Do not expose your skin to the sun while you have this paste on because the lemon can react to sun and produce an adverse reaction in your skin.
How to remove spots from face? Actually, you can even try to make use of almonds. These nuts are very rich in healthy oils and vitamin E, making them a perfect choice to remove black spots. They can also leave your skin soft and glowing after every use.
- Grab a fistful of almonds and leave them soaking in milk for about 8 hours.
Then peel off the skin and blend them with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder until a fine paste is formed.
- Apply it on your face as a mask and leave it there for 20-40 minutes, depending on how dehydrated and mistreated your skin feels.
- Repeat this process 1 or 2 times every week.
Oatmeal is a very healthy and nutritious food. It can be used to remove dark spots on your face, and can also be used for skin exfoliation and rejuvenation, sunburn relief, and acne fighting, among others.
- Just blend 1 cup of rolled oats with enough quantity of lemon juice to make a paste.
- Then rub it on your face and make circular movements with your fingertips.
- Let it rest and when it dries, you can rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Papaya is an exotic fruit that can benefit you in many ways. If used for skin, it has bleaching, exfoliating and purifying properties.
- Grab a mature papaya pulp and apply it on your face as a mask, leave it there for 15 minutes and the rinse it off. Do this at least three times a week.
- Another good option is grind a green papaya with enough lime juice or lemon juice and then apply it directly on the black spots of your face. Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. Do this two times a week.
Medical Ways to Remove Spots from Face
How to remove spots from face? You already know some natural ways to do this. Here are some medical suggestions.
1. Topical Acid Treatment
There are over-the-counter and prescription topical acid treatments. They usually have alpha-hydroxy acids, salicylic acid or retinoic acid. These ingredients deeply exfoliate your skin and remove the superficial layer of dead skin cells, thus eliminating dark spots on your face.
You must be careful while using any of them since your skin will become more sensitive to the sun and other topical products in general.
2. Chemical Peel
This acid-based procedure should be done by a dermatologist as it will peel off more layers of skin than a topical acid treatment, since the concentration of acid it contains is higher.
Microdermabrasion is a procedure performed to remove some skin layers using very fine and small crystals. This can allow a new and healthy layer of skin to grow. This method should be used not more than one time a month to allow your skin to heal. If done incorrectly, it can lead to even more dark spots and roughness in your face.
4. Laser Treatment
Laser treatment, also known as IPL (intense pulsed light) therapy, must be performed by an experienced practitioner. This is the preferred choice when dealing with stubborn dark spots that have been there for a long time and cannot be removed with any superficial treatment.
Keep in mind that this is the most effective and aggressive option of treatment but also the most expensive and painful one.