Category Archives: Hematology

5 White Blood Cells Types and Their Functions

White blood cells are also referred to as WBCs or leukocytes. They are the cells that make up the majority of the immune system, which is the part of the body that protects itself against foreign substances and various types of infections. Leukocytes are made in the bone marrow from multipotent cells called hematopoietic stem… Read More »

Why Do We Have Blood Types?

When my parents informed me that my blood type was A+, I felt a strange sense of pride. If A+ was the top grade in school, then surely A+ was also the most excellent of blood types – a biological mark of distinction. It didn’t take long for me to recognise just how silly that… Read More »

What Is a Banana Bag?

A banana bag is an intravenous nutritional supplement that is commonly prescribed to hospital patients who have vitamin or mineral deficiencies or chemical imbalances. The name comes from the bright yellow color of the vitamin B2 in the solution. The bag also contains a mixture of other vitamins and minerals designed to quickly replenish any… Read More »

8 Health Benefits Of Donating Blood

1- IMPROVES HEART HEALTH Donating blood improves your overall cardiovascular health. Increased level of iron in the blood raises the chance of heart disease. Regularly donating blood helps males in particular to reduce the amount of iron in the blood. This can reduce the chance of heart attack by 88%. Additionally, regular blood donation can… Read More »

Blood Test May Predict If You Will Die In The Next 5 Years

Would you take a test that predicted how many years you had left? According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, such an option may one day be available to the public. In a new study published in PLOS Medicine, researchers revealed that certain levels of four biomarkers circulating in the blood stream may… Read More »

Scientists develop a safer and cheaper method for blood transfusion

Each year, nearly five million Americans need a blood transfusion. Transfusions are performed on a number of different patients, such as those coming out of surgery, cancer patients, those suffering from infections or severe burns, or patients with certain blood disorders. For the many that need a blood transfusion, a successful procedure could mean the… Read More »

7 Little-Known Facts About Blood

Typically, we tend to focus on our blood when we get a paper cut, donate, or find ourselves at the hospital. The truth is there’s a lot more to the life-sustaining fluid that drips into a testing tube, a band-aid, or an intravenous (IV) line. Without blood, our bodies would be unable to receive the… Read More »

Blood cells and its types with functions

Blood cells are the cells which are produced during hematopoiesis and found mainly in the blood. Blood is composed of the blood cells which accounts for 45% of the blood tissue by volume, with the remaining 55% of the volume composed of plasma, the liquid portion of the blood. There are three types of blood… Read More »